Monday, August 16, 2010

Packing For The Winter In Buenos Aires

I began packing this week for my three month stay in Argentina, and I had the toughest time trying to pack the right clothes. No matter how many times I check the climate in that region, which is between 30 to 50 degrees my brain kept playing tricks on me. It didn't help that I reside in sunny San Diego California. I just needed grasp that when it is summer in North America,  Argentina is experiencing winter. If that was not mind blowing and funny, silly me packed shorts and sandals as if I was heading to the Caribbean.

After returning back from my pre-departure meeting, I came home and emptied my luggage only to have to start the tedious task of packing my suitcase all over again. This time I lined the bottom of the suitcase with lots of warm clothes  with jeans, warm shirts, Hi Tec trek boots, warm underwear, spring clothes which included shorts and short sleeve shirts for the warm spells in the other countries I will travel such as Uruguay, and Peru In October. This is when these countries start to get warm.

Although I have the option of bringing two pieces of luggage with both weighing no more than fifty pounds each and one twenty pound carry on, I decided take one suitcase with a collapse piece of luggage that will fit into my luggage so I can travel light and have the option of bringing a few items back. I decided not to pack the second piece of luggage, because it will allow me an additional fifty pounds, and I will stay in the allotted weight.

My carry on bag was a piece of cake to pack. My backpack is on wheels which will carry my Laptop for work, blogging, school, and emails. I also am using it to carry my digital equipment; camera, camcorder, tripod and accessories. This will allow my most valuable pieces to be with me at all times. Also, I will be able to capture my trip from beginning to end.

If you are financially able to purchase your tickets at least six months in advance I suggest you do, because I spent half of what is would normally cost to travel to Argentina from North America. My ticket was $642.00 roundtrip not including travel protection. That was an additional $19.00 in which I strongly recommend you purchase. I also recommend using Taca Airlines for your South America travels. If you reside in California, and live near major airports such as Los Angeles (LAX), and San Francisco (SFO) you will get the best fare unlike San Diego or small airports. To book a flight using Taca Air lines, and signing up for air mileage here is the link Taca.com

No comments:

Post a Comment